Oil and fuel transport are specialised areas, so regular licences will not suffice. Drivers for these types of dangerous goods need to undergo specific training and attain the right licences to operate in a safe environment for themselves and the people around them. Petroleum transport is a regulated field in Australia, so follow these steps to becoming a specialised driver for fuel transport trucks.

Understand The Regulations Involved When Operating Fuel Tankers Or Trucks In Australia

Fuel tankers and trucks must comply with the country's Dangerous Goods Code, which covers technical requirements related to road transport of dangerous goods like fuel across different parts of the country. This federal code also works together with specific state and territory laws to ensure national compliance during transport by road. The code covers factors like packaging, performance testing, vehicle requirements, documentation, emergency actions and safety equipment for maximum security during the transport process.

Ensure You Have The Right Licences And Permits To Operate Fuel Tankers

Since fuel tankers need to be operated in special circumstances, drivers need to be well aware of the permits and licences needed to comply with federal, state and territory regulations across Australia. Dangerous goods vehicle licences are different from regular car licences and must be applied for in the state or territory you're operating from. These licences are typically valid for a duration of one year and are recognised across the nation. For fuel tankers, you may need to provide further information like tank compliance plates and serial numbers if available. Before applying for the licence, you should ideally have completed a recognised training course for dangerous goods transport by road.

Make Sure You Meet The Eligibility Criteria 

You must meet the minimum eligibility criteria to ensure that you are able to transport dangerous goods by road based on the state or territory you're from. For example, in Western Australia, you must be able to demonstrate a five-year suitable driving record, WA residency and an age of at least 17 years to become a driver for fuel tankers and other dangerous goods. Keep in mind that P plate drivers will not be able to apply for this professional licence. You will also need to complete a medical assessment to ensure that you can handle the tough task of transporting these goods from one part of the country to another. 

Becoming a driver for fuel tankers and trucks isn't for the light-hearted and requires careful planning. Be sure to follow these steps in your quest to specialise in this field.